Tithing – How To Start Working With God Financially Part 4

God wants you so blessed financially that you have enough to always be generous toward God and His Kingdom.  The only way to involve God in your finances is to give Him some of your money, but God wants to bless those gifts and return a “harvest” to you on those “seeds”. 

We could categorize the various ways we give to God as follows: (1) tithing, (2) gifts to the poor, (3) first fruits offerings, and (4) general offerings.  We will discuss each of these in turn, and today we will briefly discuss tithing.  I’m going to summarize an hour’s teaching into a few sentences, so I encourage you to study these verses I mention.

While tithing is mentioned in the Jewish law (Leviticus 27:30), the practice does not originate there.  Tithing is the customary tax for the king (Genesis 14:20, 1 Samuel 8:15,17), and this custom was established long before the Jewish law.  Tithing to God appoints God as the King of your life. 

Please read Genesis 14 and 15 carefully, as it’s a fascinating story, and the origin of why we tithe to God today.  In Genesis 14, Abraham (by defeating several kings) is established as the most powerful leader in the region.  He then submits himself to God (as his King) through the tithe.  Immediately thereafter (Genesis 15) we see God accept this appointment (“I am your Shield, your Very Great Reward”) and give Abraham great promises.

We don’t tithe because it’s legally required.  Furthermore, despite what many teach, Christians are not “cursed” if they don’t tithe (all such curses are removed when we come to Christ).  Tithing is, however, a form of seed that produces wonderful harvests in our life.

(Malachi 3:10-11 NIV) – “Bring the whole tithe into the storehouse, that there may be food in my house. Test me in this," says the Lord Almighty, "and see if I will not throw open the floodgates of heaven and pour out so much blessing that there will not be room enough to store it. I will prevent pests from devouring your crops, and the vines in your fields will not drop their fruit before it is ripe," says the Lord Almighty.”

Tithing integrates God and His economy into your financial life.  Tithing brings both God’s supernatural increase and God’s supernatural protection to your finances. 

Tithing is 10% of your income, given to God.  Promptly after I receive any money, I give 10% to God right off the top.  Based on my reading of Genesis 28:22, I count everything I get as from God, and I give 10% of all (based on gross income). 

I realize 10% may sound like a big number, but start somewhere.  Start at 1% if you can and work your way up.  Read those promises from Malachi (above) as you are building your faith for those harvests on your tithe seeds.  You will see God’s promises start to manifest in your life.

(In case you missed any installments in this series or want more information otherwise, you can always see all of my messages, posts, podcasts, etc. at byronhowell.com.)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Love Revolution

Looking At What Can't Be Seen

Integrating Your Christianity and Secular Personal Growth